Friday, November 07, 2008

ICAPGen Conference 2008

I've been anticipating this conference since early September and so far it's been more than I expected. First, the drive to Provo went very well. It's a lovely day, despite our recent snowstorms. Although the close visitor parking lot was full, the next best thing had plenty of room, so there was plenty of time to register, pick up a syllabus (silly me for ever thinking I didn't want one of those!) and wind around the Wilkinson Building at BYU to find my first session.

I have sent for the packet to pursue becoming a Certified Genealogist, but hadn't thought about accreditation. After attending the first session about preparing for the accreditation process, I was excited to think that it's something that I would like to do. The next session I attended talked about many ways for genealogists to continue professional development. The presenter's introduction made me giggle. She said, "Teachers do professional development, so should we!"

I have a few family lines that might be German and are connected to Pennsylvania, so I attended a class about Palatine Immigrants. I'm not sure if I have any ancestors that were Palatine immigrants, they may have come too early, but I'm sure the resources will be useful.

Lunch in the Wilkerson Center was interesting. There were many display tables with various causes. I saw students studying, talking on cell phones, napping, talking together and lots of things. It's so different from when I was here. Many more places to get food, lots of large round tables, and lots of places to gather to study. Not sure what happened to the old ballroom though.

After lunch I went to the Eyring Science Center, but Brother Dibble wasn't in. Then back to the conference!

No comments: