Monday, January 24, 2005

Why do I love family history?

Today someone made the comment that they have never been satisfied with anyone's answer for why they do genealogy. I really didn't have an answer either. It's something that I've loved for so long, I'm not sure why it's my passion.

I've been listening to the stories of my ancestors since I was a little girl. I've been interested in recording such things as long as I can remember. For me I feel a real connection to my country...for it was my ancestors who helped to build it. None of them are named by name in the history books, but they were some of the first settlers in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia and other colonies. After settling here, a hundred or so years later, some fought in the American Revolution and then in other wars of our new country. As the country grew, some traveled went west and settled in Ohio. Some of my ancestors fought in the Civil War. Some on the side of the Union and others on the side of the Confederacy. Why did they come here? For religious freedom, opportunity for land, and well, one family came because they had to....

So that is one reason why the Statue of Liberty seems to be such a great banner for my home page, even the island upon which is stands was at one time owned by a direct ancestor. What a thrill it was to finally walk on Liberty Island and know that once it was Bedloe's Island, just a farm where an immigrant family (all of the colonists were immigrant families back then) had settled.

I also like to think that we are all connected...I am who I am in part because of who they were. Many of my ancestors were religious leaders, teachers, farmers and hard workers. They left behind a legacy of love of family, love of country and love of their fellow men. In my search for who they were, I feel that I am learning in part who I am.

No comments: